8 Apr 2015

10m USA spots

On a day with 10m propagation was expected to be "poor" I was surprised to see my 500mW 10m WSPR beacon spotted in the USA as early as 1208z by K8AJX (6996km). In all honestly, I was not expecting 10m to open to the states today at all. As I said before, 10m is a band of surprises.

UPDATE 2004z:  So far today, 9 different USA stations spotting me on 10m WSPR.  Not bad for a day with "poor" 10m propagation forecast.

UPDATE 2034z:  The opening on 10m to the USA is still going on. This is a long opening already, and could continue for a while yet..

UPDATE 2114z:   Nothing since 2034z, so perhaps the USA opening has ended now?  Will leave 10m and 6m running overnight and will check internet time sync shortly.   Biggest danger is the PC (used for 6m only) turns off in the middle of the night to do updates. 10m is not effected as this is "stand-alone".  EA8BVP (2986km) has been spotting me lots of times during the day: 82 times since 0916z.

UPDATE 2126z:    When 10m dies on a given path (like to the USA) it just dies - it is like a plug has been pulled or a switch just turned off. I am sure if I was running 5w or 25W it would make very little difference. 500mW seems to be perfectly fine. I must say I have been very happy with my little WSPR-AXE-CW beacon, from W5OLF, which has served me well.

No comments: