1 Oct 2014

Nick G4IKZ monitoring 10m WSPR now

Local G4IKZ has been monitoring 6m most of the summer, but I notice he is looking on 10m today but so far is seeing just G0LRD and me.

I was wondering how efficient my antenna is on 10m compared with others. It is pleasing to see that Nick is not copying that much either. I think he uses a 10m Moxon beam, but no idea which way it is aiming today. He is getting me much weaker on 10m than on 6m. I believe my Par 3-band end-fed is somewhat down on an optimised 10m antenna, but not too badly.  Certainly not enough to worry about. I seem to be spotted quite widely if I run 2W.

I suppose a more efficient 10m antenna would (maybe) allow me to use 200mW instead, although in RX I copy most stations in all directions, quite well on 10m. The Par also does a decent job on 20m and even 40m, even though quite low and just strung to a tree in the garden.

For several weeks now 10m has been open to Europe at some time in the day. It was open to Spain and Israel this morning. Most days it has opened for F2 DX to places much further away.  So far, this afternoon is exceptionally quiet on 10m WSPR.

No comments: