4 Oct 2014

472kHz WSPR this afternoon

It has been interesting to see who spots me in the daytime on 472kHz WSPR. Only 3 stations spotted me (2 quite locals - G0LRD (25km) and G3XIZ (46km), plus G8HUH at 250km, who receives people well).

On RX, I copied 3 stations - G4KPX (14km), G8HUH (250km) and PA3ABK/2 (306km). I shall stick with 472kHz WSPR this evening. No doubt range will increase at night.

UPDATE 1636z:  29 stations currently active on 472kHz WSPR of which G4KPX, G3ZJO and myself are in the UK and transmitting.  I think we are all 3 of us are very QRP ERP stations. I know Richard G4KPX was running 1mW ERP (or less) to an indoor TX loop in a spare bedroom on 472kHz. He gets out very well.

UPDATE 1820z:  DH5RAE (995km) and DJ0ABR (983km) now being spotted here on 472kHz WSPR.

UPDATE 2000z:   G8LCO (58km) situated between Stevenage and Welwyn has copied me 6 times so far this evening. No great DX, but nice to be seen by someone relatively new (I think?) on the band.

UPDATE 2200z: G8LCO has now spotted me 12 times tonight so far. My best DX report so far is from PA0A (417km).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,
Glad you liked the MF spots, They were from a new active loop antenna that has been on test this last week, working better than hoped. You are almost on the axis of the loop so are a bit lower down than could be- maybe 10 dB. Nice to hear from Eddie, I think that when you get '3XBM and '3ZJO on MF some kind of certificate is awarded eg "MF BIG EARS". Tonight I even managed to not only hear two stations that are almost not there but also one that was certainly not there. I think that proves beyond any doubt that I should be Certified.

I run on invisible antennae, a 1m rod on an E-field active which covers 1KHz to 30MHz and the 4' square active loop (MF only)which now lives inside a bush. This has earned me a lot of points with SWMBO and works quite well RF wise. Have had a good day R on WSPR hopping between bands, lots of spots.

We could do with a few more Tx'ing stations, after even a short spell one can run out of new ones. So hope to add another soon.

Best regards,
Alan G8LCO

Roger G3XBM said...

Spots much appreciated Alan. Thank you.