10 Aug 2014

FR1GZ (F2 DX) and a storm coming?

1204z saw FR1GZ (9724km) in the log for my first F2 DX on 10m today.  I hope he spots me too although I am running less power (2W ERP) than his 5W. He was only -25dB S/N, not too strong.

Looking at the lightning map, there is a nasty storm currently coming our way. It is over Bedford as I write and moving ominously closer.  Much closer and I shall have to disconnect everything and go QRT until it has passed. Another 20 minutes should tell me if it is coming this way or will just miss us. There are other storms further south too. Today looks like our unlucky day. It is raining hard - not looking promising! Latest flash over St Neots. The storm coming our way from the Cotswolds may be tracking just NW of us and may miss us, again.

2 comments:

Martin G7MRV said...

Ive just come back onto 10m after waiting out a storm passing NE towards Hull, but that was much smaller than the one now heading your way Roger!

Hope it passes you by safely

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks Martin. Currently flashes over Huntingdon.