4 Jul 2014

X108 20W transceiver

G1KQH informs me this Chinese transceiver is available for an introductory prce of £399.99. Personally I think this is MORE than I would expect. To me it still looks like a "back shed" design. I notice this supplier has sold out.

See http://www.sinotel.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=183&zenid=oi6qsdgfla6p73q0c5vhs40kj3 .

This is an introductory price for the basic version without TCXO and noise blanker. The FT817ND is now available for well below £500 with cash back offers and, to my mind, is a well proven MF-UHF design.

The X108 claims " minimalist industrial design". Read NO industrial design in my book! Still waiting for the Chinese "killer" radio to out-smart the Japanese. This, in my opinion, is not it.

2 comments:

G8JGO said...

Ouch! That looks like an ergonomic nightmare! Opportunity here for a design studio to step up to the plate and grab some custom. Design can be expensive so the margins may not just be there yet.

G8JGO.

Roger G3XBM said...

David, can't help thinking this is just the start from China. Soon, someone will produce a "killer" rig that will take on the big Japanese makers head-on. This is still not in that class.