1 Jun 2014

Es on 6m at last - CN8LI

It was a long time coming today, but at 1648 CN8LI (2113km) spotted my 1W ERP 6m WSPR signal at -16dB S/N. This was the first Es report here in 2 days. It is teatime and Es tends to have a second peak at this time. Es is pretty reliable at this time of year, but the last 2 days have been unusually quiet.  I see I am copying him now on 6m.

6m unique WSPR spots so far today
UPDATE 1950z:  All quiet on the Es front here since 1702z. Just locals and G4VXE (136km) GDX. The locals are G4IKZ (18km) and G0LRD (25km) both of whom are using horizontal beams I think.  Not sure what antenna Tim G4VXE is using.

UPDATE 2045z:   G6AVK (78km) exchanging spots with me now. Signals around -24dB S/N  with considerable Doppler, so probably aircraft assisted GDX.

UPDATE 2115z:  I think the chances of more Es is receding. One drawback of WSPR is you can only copy the stations with WSPR capability. Sometimes there are few active WSPR equipped stations in a particular area. With CW/SSB stronger signals are needed but there are more active stations. It would be useful if there were more active WSPR stations on 6m in Africa and North and South America.


No comments: