12 Jan 2014

Ultimate 3 WSPR beacon with GPS timing


Image is at http://www.hanssummers.com/images/stories/ultimate3/1/2.jpg
Hans Summers has a new beacon  kit that allows full "stand alone" (no PC needed) WSPR beaconing. It is available for just  £17.50 with a low pass filter for any particular band plus £14 for the high sensitivity GPS module and patch antenna. I believe power out is around 150mW but this can be increased. As I understand it, it means, for example, a 10m WSPR TX beacon that does NOT need a PC can be made for under £40 even building a separate PA and putting it into a nice box. The unit also does other modes like QRSS and HELL.

See G0UPL's website at http://www.hanssummers.com/ultimate3.html .

I shall have to build one to free up the FT817.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Roger, great to see making up for lost time with your blog postings. Hope you are making speedy progress.

The Ultimate kits from Hans really are good fun For under 18 pound I dont know of any other kit that give more smiles per pound.

It can also be used for normal cw, at 10v the kit will put out at least a watt on the lower bands.

All that needs to be done now is build a companion receiver that can make use of the U3 oscillator as the basis of direct conversion.

Unknown said...

I have an Ultimate3 on order. I',m hoping I'll be able to build it. Great that you are considering it.

Julian, G4ILO

Unknown said...

Hi Roger,

I have already built one of the Ultimate3 Beacon Kits and it is a great gadget.

I reached Australia in WSPR Mode with just about 200 mW. You can see some impressions on my Website (German language) www.dl2ymr.de

73 de Michael, DL2YMR