12 Aug 2010

Perseids meteor shower tonight

The Perseids meteor shower is supposed to be a strong one peaking this evening. I may run the WSPR software overnight on 10m to see if any bursts are long enough to support a 2 minute WSPR transmission.

LATER: Overnight I copied PA0PSY at 0044z by what looked like MS: quite strong signal, seen once only, with Doppler, over a 300km path, although it could also have been aircraft reflection. Unfortunately I didn't see the WSPR screen to examine the actual screen trace.

4 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

hi Roger, I was thinking about it, but I am afraid that there is low activity on WSPR, and it's useless when I transmit and nobody is reporting.

Unknown said...

Meteor shower contacts are made using very fast bursts of cw I thought?

Roger G3XBM said...

Andy - yes you're right, but in intense showers the bursts can be very long (especially on 10m) and it is possible that MS propagation would support a WSPR TX slot, unless the Doppler kills it!

Bob G3WKW said...

I saw a burst but it was less than a minute and was quite dispersed. WSPR does not like doppler as I often see good looking signals from 25 miles away not spotted when they have the line of aircraft flutter crossing over them. Fortunately it is only the local spots that suffer from aircraft doppler dispersion and not the dx ones.